February 17, 2007

100 Names Recap

A few days ago, I posted an article about the "100 Names to Know" article from the USA Today's publication "Sports Weekly". In this post, I mentioned the four Twin players who made the list along with the comment that they had included with each player. Now, a few days late, I'll go back over that list and let you know how I feel about each comment. If you have not yet done so, I encourage you to read the post before reading this.

Matt Garza:
In Garza's description, they mention how he advanced through the minor leagues at a rapid pace and made the Twins roster towards the end of the season. They also mention that he ran out of gas towards the end of the year and was left off the playoff roster.

I guess I would have to agree with everything they said because he did run out of gas towards the end of the season, but that is to be expected with any rookie playing a longer season. If he can become the fifth starter this season, it would be expected that he has enough stamina to finish out the season and hopefully the playoffs.

Glen Perkins:
I agree 100% with what they had to say about Perkins. In the article they mention that Perkins too moved through the system fast and had only 10 innings above the Double-A level. However, they also mention that he has very electric stuff that could blow his competitors away and give him a better chance at the fifth starter role.

Kevin Slowey:
There was one major thing that I really questioned with in Slowey's description. In it, they include a part that states "He can be likened to Carlos Silva, but with much better strikeout numbers." Now this stood out to me only because they were comparing him to Carlos Silva who had a pretty terrible year in 2007. I hope when they say he can be likened to him, they mean his walk numbers.

Pat Neshek:
Finally, there is Pat Neshek. Neshek was ranked as #92 on the list which I disagree with, but that might have something to do with the amount of playing time he received last season. In this article they also mention that he might not receive as much playing time this year because the Twins already have Rincon and Crain, this I definitely disagree with. Although I'm not sure exactly how much playing time he will receive, I think he will still be used in late game situations and will still get plenty of innings.

Again, I encourage you to read the "100 Names to Know" article if you haven't done so yet. Throughout the rest of this weekend, I hope to get a post up about my 100th post and something about Spring Training.