March 31, 2007

Spring Training: Game 32

The Twins finished up their Spring Training schedule today with a win over the Pittsburgh Pirates. Sidney Ponson got the start today, and the Twins lineup featured their Opening Day starters. Ponson didn't have his best start, but settled down after giving up three runs. Mauer again showed that his leg is not a problem bringing in 3 RBI.

On with the observations...

Game 32:
- As I mentioned above, Ponson didn't have his best start today. He went five innings giving up four runs (three earned), ten hits and he also picked up three strikeouts.

- Rincon got an inning of work in. He went one inning allowing no runs or hits while picking up two strikeouts.

- The Twins also got three minor league pitchers in the game today. The list included Gassner, Lahey and Morlan. They all pitched well in their one inning of work. Gasner allowed on hit, Lahey allowed no hits and Morlan allowed one hit.

- As I mentioned above, Mauer came back strong today. He went 1-3 with three RBI before the Twins brought in Heintz. Punto also played today, and went 0-2 with a walk and a run. He also picked up an error at third base.

- The Twins played a lot of their minor leaguers after the regulars got their work in. Peterson came into the game for Morneau at first base and went 2-2 with a homerun, RBI and a run scored.

- Some other notable stats from the Twins today include:
Torii Hunter: 1-2
Rondell White: 2-2
Josh Rabe: 1-2; RBI
Jason Kubel: 1-2
Jason Bartlett: 2-2; Run and RBI

- Tyner, Castillo and Bartlett each picked up stolen bases in the win.

- With the win, the Twins finish their spring with a record of 14-17-1.

For more stats from today's game, make sure to check out the Box Score.

Upcoming Posts:
With Spring Training over as of today, the post game wrap-ups are officially over. For tomorrow, I can't guarantee a post because the Twins have figured out the roster and I don't know that there will be much to talk about. However, check back because I may possibly have a special Spring Training or Twins News post.

As for Opening Day, make sure to check back as I'm working on a special preview. The preview will include charts of their Opening Day roster such as the bullpen, bench, rotation and lineup. I'll also have some information on each, so make sure to check that out.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing when the season starts, but right now I plan on doing only post-game reports. I don't plan on doing previews of every game, but if there are key games or series, you'll probably see some previews. Exactly how I'm going to do the post game reports, I'm not sure but I'll be looking at the ones from last season to get a better idea.

Finally, on Opening Day, I plan on putting up some of my small site changes that I've been working on. The change include new sidebar headings and some other additions to the sidebars. I'm also still thinking of other things to add.

If you have anything you would like to see on the site as far as looks or posts, please share your ideas with me by e-mail or in the comments.