March 29, 2007

Twins Finalize Roster

The Twins this afternoon, finalized their 2007 Opening Day roster after making the last two moves. The first move was optioning outfielder Josh Rabe to AAA, and the second was losing their former highly thought of prospect, J.D. Durbin.

All week, the Twins had been trying to trade Durbin. However, after there were apparently no takers, they placed him on waivers. Durbin was claimed off of waiver right away by the Arizona D-Backs, the same team that claimed former Twin Alex Romero off of waivers earlier in the off-season.

With these moves, the Twins will now be carrying 11 pitchers, and their starting rotation will be the following.

1) Johan Santana
2) Boof Bonser
3) Ramon Ortiz
4) Sidney Ponson
5) Carlos Silva*

* With Garza ready if Silva falters.

Also, expect the Twins to add Ponson to the 40-man roster in the next couple of days. With Machado out six months, they may switch him to the 60-day to open yet another roster spot.

The Twins, after optioning Rabe, also have finalized their bench. The lucky player to get the extra spot was catcher Chris Heintz. The reason for keeping Heintz may have been simply because of Mauer's injury. Now, the Twins can DH Mauer and catch Redmond while at the same time having a backup on the bench.

The bench will look like this:
Luis Rodriguez
Chris Heintz
Mike Redmond
Jason Tyner
Jeff Cirillo

Garza Talks:
Over on the Pioneer Press blog, they have some comments from Matt Garza after being optioned to AAA. He was obviously upset, but handled the situation the way you would expect a good player to.

"They said they wanted me to be able to get in some innings," Garza said, "not pitch two innings here and, three days later, three innings there. I don't know ... I'll just do what I got to do to get back up there."

"It's kind of a good thing; I would have said stuff," Garza said. "I was seriously really upset. It's lucky I didn't say anything. I'll be OK. I'll do what I have to do. I'll be back."

(I may have more on Durbin after the game, but none the less, check back later for a game report.)