March 23, 2007

Twins Send Three to AAA

This morning, the Twins optioned three players to AAA. The names include Scott Baker, Alexi Casilla and Garrett Jones. I knew that Baker and Jones had no chance of making the roster, but I thought the Twins might keep Alexi Casilla in major league camp a little bit longer.

None the less, they were all sent down after their playing time continued to lessen. Expect to see more moves by early next week as the Twins try to get their 25-man roster set for Opening Day against the Orioles.

With the moves, the Twins now only need to cut 13 more players as they have 38 players left in camp. The players include 16 pitchers (two nonroster), five catchers (two non-roster), 10 infielders (three non-roster) and seven outfielders (one non-roster).

Good News:
Yesterday, a lot of people and news outlets were freaking out about the news regarding Joe Mauer's leg. But today, from Joe Christensen's blog, a relieving quote came from Mauer.

“I think it’s just going to be a couple days, from my understanding,” Mauer said. “I was getting phone calls and text messages saying I was out for the season. It was kind of crazy. But I think I just need a few days. If this was something that happened during the year, it probably wouldn’t be known or something like that. I just want to make sure I’m right for Opening Day.”

That being said, I would like to see it for myself and will be waiting for him to get back on the field hopefully next week.

Making the Team:
The next edition of "Making the Team" will be up either today or tomorrow. The list is much shorter after the Twins optioned many of the players on the list to the minors. However, with the roster battles heating up, it is still very interesting.