May 16, 2007

Crain Headed to DL

Injuries have been a common thing for the Twins so far this season, and they continued to mount today when the Twins announced that they had placed reliever Jesse Crain on the disabled list with a sore shoulder.

I know La Velle mentioned it, and I will too. The Twins should be fine without Crain because they have Neshek, who I personally think is a better pitcher. Also, Crain has been ineffective all season anyways (hopefully the shoulder was the reason) so it shouldn't hurt the team's bullpen very much.

However, what bothers me is the fact that we locked up Crain to a three-year deal this past off-season, and now he all of a sudden has shoulder pain. I'm starting to question whether or not he had this pain before, and hid it until it became unbearable. Either way, I'm hoping this investment turns out good with Crain's shoulder being okay.

To take his spot on the roster, the Twins have called up their second rookie in a week, Julio DePaula. So far on the season in AAA, DePaula is 2-3 with a 3.15 ERA. DePaula will wear number 51 for the team. Meanwhile, Crain was scheduled for a MRI today, and when the results are known, I'll post them here.

I should also mention that I'm somewhat surprised that the Twins didn't just stick with 11 pitchers and call up a starter to take Ponson's spot on the roster. I guess this means that a hitter will indeed be sent down when this decision is made.

For the cycle of promotions around the Twins farm system, check out La Velle's Blog.