Game 62: Atlanta Braves
The Twins won the first game of a three game series with the Atlanta Braves tonight winning 7-3. The offense was much better, scoring five runs in the fourth inning to take the lead. Kevin Slowey pitched another good game, and picked up his second win after pitching six solid innings. With the win, the Twins are now back at .500, and just 5.5 games out of first place in the division.
Kevin Slowey picked up his first win in his last start, and came into the game looking to build off that. He did a very nice job allowing just three runs, two of which came off of solo homeruns. Slowey's final line was 6 innings, 7 hits, 3 runs (2 earned) and 1 strikeout. With the win, he is now 2-0 with a 3.71 ERA on the season.
The bullpen pitched three innings, and Guerrier pitched first. In his one innings of work, he allowed one hit and no runs. Neshek pitched the eighth inning and held the lead with a hit less inning of work. With a four run lead, the Twins brought Nathan in to pitch the ninth, and he allowed two hits, but no runs.
The offense picked it up scoring seven runs off of thirteen hits. They had no homeruns and just one extra-base hit, but hit well and stole some bases to pick up the runs. The whole offense was productive and everybody picked up at least one hit except for Lew Ford. Below are the keys stats.
Luis Castillo: 3-5; 2 RBI
Joe Mauer: 2-5; Run and RBI
Michael Cuddyer: 1-4; Run
Justin Morneau: 1-3; Run and RBI
Torii Hunter: 1-3; Run and 2 RBI
Mike Redmond: 1-4; Run
Nick Punto: 2-4; Run
Jason Bartlett: 2-4; Run
For more stats, make sure to check out the Box Score.
- Rondell White is expected to play in an extended Spring Training game on Friday, but no timetable has been set for his return.
- Carlos Silva and Juan Rincon each welcomed additions to their families today when their wives had babies. Both should be ready to pitch in tomorrow's game.
- Jason Kubel is feeling fine, but Gardenhire wants to see first before judging whether or not he will play in this series. He should at least be ready to go by the weekend series.
- According to La Velle, Jeff Manship should be heading up to Fort Myers next week. He had the following line tonight 7 innings, 1 earned run, 5 hits, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts.
- Finally, Reyes is set to come off of the DL on Friday after everything went well. It will be interesting to see what the team does when he returns.