July 31, 2007

The Castillo Trade

When I first saw this trade yesterday, I had mixed emotions. I thought to myself things like, who are these guys they got, and that's all they got. It was very disappointing to say the least.

But, even though I'm not completely satisfied, this deal does make some sense. I still don't know much about the guys they got, but I'll trust Terry Ryan on that. In the other regard, I have come to the realization that Castillo was not going to resign with this team next season, and it was time to see what we have below in Alexi Casilla. After all, he is supposed to be the future guy at second, and we need to know now if that will become a reality.

Don't get me wrong, Castillo was a fan favorite, a pretty good hitter and fielder and definitely one of the nicer and better clubhouse guys. He'll be missed by me, and I'm sure many other fans. I wish he was still here in a way, but understand why he isn't, and if the Twins aren't in the World Series, there aren't many other guys I'd like to see have that chance.

Again, Castillo will be missed, and the best of luck from us to him in the future.