July 16, 2007

Interview: Denard Span

Denard Span was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the first round of the 2002 amateur draft out of Tampa Catholic. Since then, he has become a very highly touted prospect, and is now at AAA Rochester for the Twins organization. He has put up some pretty good numbers throughout his career, and you can check those out here. Within the next year, chances are we'll see him in a Twins uniform up here in the big leagues.


And, Denard was kind enough to give his time for our first interview at Twins Territory.

Before the interview, I just want to let you know that you can track what Denard is doing at AAA all season long, just go over to the right sidebar for his stats that are updated often.

Now, on with the interview...

Twins Territory: Growing up, what was your favorite baseball team, and who were some of your favorite players?

Denard Span: The Atlanta Braves were my favorite team growing up, and Ken Griffey Jr., Darryl Strawberry, David Justice and Kenny Lofton were a few of my favorite players.

Twins Territory: What baseball player would you say you’re most like and why?

Denard Span: When I was a little younger in my short career, I thought I resembled a player like Juan Pierre. But as I get older I feel like I have a little more gap power potential than him so I really don't know.

Twins Territory: You spent some time this past off-season with Twins center fielder Torii Hunter, what was that like for you?

Denard Span: Visiting Torii this past off season was amazing, and something that I'll never forget.

Twins Territory: What was you favorite part about Major League Camp (Spring Training)?

Denard Span: My favorite part of big league camp was getting a chance to be in the starting lineup like six times with the regular starters. I actually felt apart of the team.

Twins Territory: What is your favorite part about professional baseball, and your least favorite part?

Denard Span: My favorite part about pro ball is that there's always tomorrow. My least favorite thing is the travel on buses.

Twins Territory: What’s your best baseball memory, in professional or any other level?

Denard Span: Definitely wining a state title in high school and also winning a championship in rookie ball.

Twins Territory: You were drafted out of High School, did you ever think about going to college first, or did you want to get started in professional baseball right away?

Denard Span: My dream since I was five was to make it to the major leagues, but another dream of mine was also to go to college and play college ball and get my degree.

Twins Territory: What do you feel is the best part about your game?

Denard Span: Definitely my defense.

Twins Territory: If you weren’t playing baseball, what would you have liked to do for your career?

Denard Span: That’s a tough question now because I can't see myself doing anything other than playing baseball, but I would be doing something close or related to sports.

Twins Territory: What are some things you like to do off the field?

Denard Span: Off the field I really don't do too much because I'm usually trying to catch up on sleep. When I get bored I like to go to the mall though.

Twins Territory: Do you play video games? If so, have so played with yourself in MLB 2K7?

Denard Span: I didn't even know I was in a video game. Wow!

Twins Territory: What is you favorite movie?

Denard Span: Friday with Chris Tucker and A Thin Line Between Love and Hate with Martin Lawrence.

Twins Territory: What’s some advise that you’d give young players who some day want to make it into professional baseball?

Denard Span: Work hard and be confident in yourself.

Twins Territory: What is your main goal for the rest of this season, and for next season going into Spring Training?

Denard Span: My goal for the rest of this season is to continue to get better, and hopefully next spring have a chance to compete for a job in center or wherever needed.

Twins Territory: What would it be like for you to get the call to the major leagues and put on the uniform for the first time?

Denard Span: I don't know, it's all a dream now. I really can't wait though.

Twins Territory: Thanks for taking time to do this interview Denard, best of luck to you for the rest of the season and we can’t wait to see you up here in the big leagues.

I'd again like to take this time to thank Denard for his time with the interview. Denard is truly a great guy, and definitely a great ballplayer with a nice future ahead of him. If I were you, I'd keep my eye out for him sometime this September, and if not then, most likely sometime next season.