July 25, 2007

No Recap, Again

The Twins got killed again today, and there is nothing that I can recap that would make you happy. So, I'm just going to skip it again today. Instead, here are some things I think the Twins can do to get better, and some things I really need to "vent".

In the comments section below, leave your thoughts, and feel free to vent as well, I know everybody needs to right about now.

If you do care what the score was, it was 13-1, and it was embarrassing. Here's the box score if you want to see.

Now, my thoughts....

First off, Terry Ryan is a great General Manager, don't get me wrong. He's made great trades including the Nathan, Bonser and Liriano trade, the Milton for Silva, Punto and Korecky trade along with others. But, as the times change, he needs to learn to change his outlook.

We can no longer, being in the toughest division, afford to sit on every single pitching prospect. I agree, we need to keep the special ones (Garza, Slowey, etc.). But, you can only have so many starting pitchers, and we can't keep the rest sitting at AAA. It's time to change the plan a little bit and get a bat or two.

Secondly, it's time to quit giving all these scrubs spots on the roster. If you can give me one reason (other than being cheap) for keeping guys like Ford, McDonald and Rodriguez on the roster, I might lighten up a bit. However, I really can't think of one. What would be the advantage to having these players on the roster over guys with much brighter futures in Span, Tolbert and Buscher?

Finally, can we get going on some of these signings? I know that Morneau can't become a free agent until after 2010, but the longer we wait, the more money he is going to rake in. We've already made the mistake of not doing anything over the past off season, don't make another mistake and wait even longer.

In addition to Morneau, what about Santana? He's a free agent next season, and if he sees the market, no chance he'll return. He obviously loves Minnesota, but money is always a big factor, and right now I think he'd go a little cheaper.

One more thing, we can't afford to lose Hunter. He is a key to this team, both in the field, hitting and in the clubhouse. We need to resign him, even if it means opening up the checkbook just a little.

I could probably keep going, but I'll stop with my major fusses. Feel free to add to this list in the comments, because this is a venting post. I'd love to hear what you're upset with and what you want to see happen.