With the five game winning streak now gone, the Twins are looking to start back up, and climb back in to the divisional race. Along with that, there are some things going on with the Twins, and here are some notes to get caught up.
- Kevin Slowey won the International League Most Valuable Pitcher award. This is a great honor because it is awarded to just one pitcher from this AAA league. For more on the other awards, and this one, check out this story.
- Something I found interesting about Mike Redmond can be found here. I knew this in the back of my head, but interesting that he'll be setting career highs this far before the end of the season.
- Glen Perkins will have another outing in the coming days, and the Twins will decide after that whether he will rejoin the club or continue his rehab. Also, the bullpen is currently running low after being used so much after Silva's rough outing.
- Here are a few things to share on Tyner and Punto. Punto has been great in the field recently, and just tonight made another great bare hand play. If he could hit, he'd be a great asset to this team. Jason Tyner on the other hand, is on fire. He is now on an elven game hitting streak, and is getting two or three hits each time out.
Here are some minor league notes.....
- The season concludes on or around September 3rd for all those that don't know. Starting on the 1st, the Twins will call up some people from AAA to fill out the extended roster. Expected to be included are guys like Darnell McDonald and Lew Ford.
- Slowey is expected to be called up Friday in order to give the Twins a pitcher for the doubleheader. Whether or not he stays is not known, but he'll be back when September starts, so no big deal.
- Denard Span is starting to heat up. As I mentioned in a post not to long ago, he started the season hitting .220 for a few months. Now, he is hitting .265 which is good considering how far it has risen. Most recently, he went 4-5 with 4 RBI.