September 22, 2007

The End is Near

Torii Hunter has been with the Minnesota Twins organization for his entire career. There have been plenty of ups and plenty of downs along the way, but with all of that, he has become the face of the team over the past ten seasons or so.

With his contract up after the season, and every comment he makes sounding more and more like he has already decided to leave, the Twins could soon be searching for a new man to patrol center field.

I've always liked Torii, and probably always will. But the way he has handled all of this contract stuff has made me a little bit upset.

I understand that he does deserve a good deal, but that isn't it. Torii has gotten upset that the team wasn't trying to negotiate. Then, they try to get going on a deal, and he turns then down, and tells them that he wants to wait until the season is over. Along with this, he talks way to openly about leaving. Every time he does this, he basically tells all of us that he's leaving, like this recent comment.

"I know he's my biggest fan, I think he's one of the guys I'm going to miss most because he comes to every game."
That was his response when talking about "Waldo," a fan that has went to every game and supported Hunter for the last three seasons, and beyond.

Now, if that doesn't tell us what his plans are when the season ends, I don't know does. I personally think it might be better for all of us to realize now, that next season, there will be no number 48 in center field.

I can only hope that I'll be wrong...

[Quote From: Star Tribune]