December 12, 2007

Tyner Let Go

Today was the deadline to offer contracts to players eligible for arbitration, and according to Christensen, the Twins offered everybody contract except for Jason Tyner.

The move doesn't come as a surprise. With the Twins agreeing to a contract with Monroe last night, and having Young, Cuddyer and Kubel already in the fold, there simply wasn't room for him. Especially when we'll still be adding a center fielder sometime later this off-season.

The one player that I'm a little surprised (or upset) that the Twins kept was Juan Rincon. Since getting caught for steroids, Rincon's numbers have declined, and after the Rays didn't take him in the Delmon-Garza deal, I thought maybe the Twins would just move on.

I think there is still a chance that he won't be a Twin next season. The Twins will most likely shop him with guys like Crain, Guerrier and Neshek all ahead of him in the bullpen.

Tomorrow the much anticipated steroid document will get released, and I'm hoping no major Twins are included.

One other note is that Aaron Rowand is no longer an option for the Twins. I'm not sure how serious they were, but I know his name showed up from time to time. Rowand signed with the Giants today for a reported 5-year, $60 million contract.

[Quick Update: The Cubs non-tendered Mark Prior. I'm not sure if the Twins would want him, but it's still interesting. Also, I'll have something Thursday evening on the steroid report and other news.]