February 12, 2008

Twins Sign Hernandez

The Twins continued to surprise us all today when they announced the one-year, $5 million contract with Livan Hernandez. We all new that there was a pretty good chance the team would make some kind of veteran signing, but the name had been Josh Fogg all along. Instead the Twins went out and spent a little more money for Hernandez.

Hernandez had been rumored to be going to the Mets before the Twins traded Santana to them. Now, the Twins will be assured of having a rotation with someone over the age of 26.

For me, I like the move and don't like it at the same time. I actually like Hernandez and he seems like a decent veteran to add. The idea of Fogg didn't sit with me well, but this doesn't seem so bad.

On the other hand, in what might be an off-season for the young Twins, I'm not so sure about spending $5 million for a veteran pitcher.

For now however, I can't complain. Especially when we have a total payroll of somewhere in the 50 millions.

By the way, Hernandez went 11-11 with a 4.93 ERA last season for the D-Backs.